Sunday, July 30, 2006

Daily Prayer #2

Hear my cry, O God;
Listen to my prayer.
From the ends of the earth I call to You,
I call as my heart grows faint;
Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
For you have been my refuge,
A strong tower against the foe
-Psalm 6:1-3










(Prayers of Praise and Thanksgiving)



Common Prayer
O Heavenly Father, dear God, I am a poor and unworthy sinner. I do not deserve to raise my eyes or hands toward You or to pray. But because You have commanded us all to pray and have promised to hear us and through Your dear Son Jesus Christ have taught us both how and what to pray, I come to thee in obedience to Your word, trusting in your gracious promise.
-Martin Luther


The Words of Jesus
The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

Our Father in heaven; reveal who you are.
Set the world right; do what's best— as above, so below.
Keep us alive with three square meals.
Keep us forgiven with you and forgiving others.
Keep us safe from ourselves and the Devil.
You're in charge! You can do anything you want! You're ablaze in beauty!

In prayer there is a connection between what God does and what you do. You can't get forgiveness from God, for instance, without also forgiving others. If you refuse to do your part, you cut yourself off from God's part. –Matthew 5:7-15 MSG

(Meditate on the Words of Jesus)

Prayer for Ourselves and Others
During the days of Jesus' life on earth, he offered up prayers and petitions with loud cries and tears to the one who could save him from death, and he was heard because of his reverent submission.
-Hebrews 5:7






(Prayers for ourselves and others)






Closing Prayer
Praise God from Whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above, ye heavenly hosts.
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.
Amen.

No comments: