Saturday, July 29, 2006

Daily Prayer # 1

Common Prayer
Lord Jesus, come yourself, and dwell with us, be human as we are, and overcome what overwhelms us. Come into the midst of my evil, come close to my unfaithfulness. Share my sin, which I hate and which I cannot leave. Be my brother, Thou Holy God. Be my brother in the kingdom of evil and suffering and death. Come with me in my death, come with me in my suffering, come with me as I struggle with evil. And make me holy and pure, despite my sin and death.













Search me thoroughly, O God, and know my heart! Try me and know my thoughts! And see if there is any wicked or hurtful way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Psalm 139:23,24


(Time of silence, allowing God to search us)


Prayer of the Bible
You are clothed with honor and majesty, wrapped in light as with a garment. You stretch out the heavens like a tent, you set the beams of your chambers on the waters, you make the clouds your chariot, you ride on the wings of the wind, you make the winds your messengers, fire and flame your ministers.

Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name!













(Spontaneous prayers of praise and thanksgiving to the Lord)


The Words of Jesus
Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father.

Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it. If you love Me, you will keep My commandments.


(Think deeply on these life-giving words of Jesus)



Prayer for Ourselves and Others
Do not worry about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests me made known to God.-Philippians. 4:6

In keeping with these words of Paul, let us offer prayers for the needs of ourselves and others.


(Free prayer of request and intercession)


Closing Prayer
To Him who loves us and freed us form our sins by His blood, and made us to be a kingdom, priests serving his God and Father. To Him be glory and dominion forever and ever. Amen
-Rev. 1:5-6

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Ryan. Annie and I went through this prayer together tonight. It was exactly the words God wanted us to pray. We appreciate your work putting this online.

Chris