Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Daily Prayer #24

Opening Prayer
Loving Father, please accept my distractions, my fatigue, my irritations, and my faithless wanderings. You know me more deeply and fully than I know myself. You love me with a greater love than I love myself. You even offer me more than I can desire. Look at me, see me in all my inner confusion, and let me sense your presence in the midst of my pain. Take my tired body, my confused mind, and restless soul into your arms and give me rest, simple quite rest. Come, Lord Jesus, come. Amen”
-Henri Nouwen




(Be still before God)







Prayer of the Bible
Answer me when I call to you, O my righteous God. Give me relief from my distress; be merciful to me and hear my prayer. Know that the LORD has set apart the godly for himself; the LORD will hear when I call to him. In your anger do not sin; when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent…Many are asking, "Who can show us any good?" Let the light of your face shine upon us, O LORD. You have filled my heart with greater joy than when their grain and new wine abound. I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.
-Psalm 4

(Praise and thanksgiving to our God)


The Words of Jesus
As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?" "Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life. As long as it is day, we must do the work of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. While I am in the world, I am the light of the world."


Having said this, he spit on the ground, made some mud with the saliva, and put it on the man's eyes. "Go," he told him, "wash in the Pool of Siloam". So the man went and washed, and came home seeing.
-John 9:1-7



(Meditate on the Words of Jesus)


Prayer for Ourselves and Others
Oh, GOD, listen to my prayer; please open your ears.
—Psalm 39:12

(Free prayer of request and intercession)


Closing Prayer
Almighty and ever-living God, oh Lord Jesus Christ.
I come sick to the Doctor of Life and unclean to the Fountain of Mercy, blind to radiance of Eternal Light, and poor and needy to the Lord of heaven and earth. Lord, in Your great generosity heal my sickness, wash away my defilement,enlighten my blindness, enrich my poverty, and clothe my nakedness. Amen.
-St. Thomas Aquinas

No comments: