Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Daily Prayer #17

Opening Prayer
Dear Lord, you are the first of the just. You lived the righteous life. It is because of you that your heavenly Father keeps this world in existence and shows us such mercy to us sinners. who am I, Lord, to expect your love, protection, and mercy? Who am I to deserve a place in your heart, in your house, in your reign? Who am I, Lord, to hope in your forgiveness, your friendship, your embrace? And still this is what I am waiting for, expecting, even counting on! Not because of my own merits, but solely because of your immense mercy. You lived for us the life that is pleasing to God. Help me to follow you, to unite my life with yours and to become a mirror of your love"
-Henri Nouwen





(Be still before God)






Prayer of the Bible
Hear my prayer, O LORD; let my cry for help come to you. Do not hide your face from me when I am in distress. Turn your ear to me; when I call, answer me quickly. My days are like the evening shadow; I wither away like grass. But you, O LORD, sit enthroned forever; your renown endures through all generations. The nations will fear the name of the LORD, all the kings of the earth will revere your glory.

For the LORD will rebuild Zion and appear in his glory. He will respond to the prayer of the destitute; he will not despise their plea. Let this be written for a future generation, that a people not yet created may praise the LORD : "The LORD looked down from his sanctuary on high, from heaven he viewed the earth, to hear the groans of the prisoners and release those condemned to death."
-Psalm 102


(Blessing and Praising God for Who He is)

Words of Jesus
“You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”
—John 13:7

(Meditate on the words of Jesus)


Prayers for Ourselves and Others
When two of you get together on anything at all on earth and make a prayer of it, my Father in heaven goes into action.
—Matthew 18:19




(Prayer for ourselves
and others)






Closing Prayer
Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God! How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways! For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor? Or who has given a gift to him that he might be repaid?

For from him and through him and to him are all things. To Him be glory forever. Amen
-Romans 11:33-36

No comments: