Monday, May 05, 2008

Daily Prayer #14

Opening Prayer
O Lord Jesus, you who came to us to show the compassionate love of your Father, make your people know this love with their hearts, minds and souls. So often we feel lonely, unloved, and lost in the valley of tears. We desire to feel affection, tenderness, care, and compassion, but suffer from inner darkness, emptiness, and numbness. I pray tonight: Come, Lord Jesus, come. Do not just come to our understanding, but enter our hearts, our passions, emotions, and feelings. Amen!
-Henri Nouwen (1932-1996)





(Be still before God)







The Character of God
(The Names of God)
Yahweh... LORD - He that is who He is, The eternal I AM
Adonai... Lord - Master
El Shaddai... God Almighty - The All-sufficient One
El Elyon ... Most High - Possessor of heaven and earth
El Olam... Everlasting God - God over eternal things
El Gibbor... Mighty God - The Only All Powerful God
Yahweh Jireh... The LORD will provide
Yahweh Rapha... The LORD who healeth
Yahweh Nissi... The LORD is my banner, The LORD is my victory
Yahweh Shalom... The LORD our peace, The LORD gives peace
Yahweh Tsidkenu... The LORD Our Righteousness
Yahweh Shammah... The LORD is present
Yahweh Sabaoth... The LORD of Hosts, King of Glory

(Blessing and Praising God for Who He is)


The Words of Jesus
Jesus replied, "If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and keep his word. Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad." You are not yet fifty years old," the Jews said to him, "and you have seen Abraham!" I tell you the truth," Jesus answered, "before Abraham was born, I am! (Yahweh)"
–John 8:54-58

(Meditate on the words of Jesus)


Prayer for Others
For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer
-I Peter 3:12





(Free prayer
of request
and intercession)





Closing Prayer
Our Father in heaven,
Reveal who you are.
Set the world right;
Do what's best— as above, so below.

No comments: